Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Welcome!

Hi, I'm Kate.

I have a problem. I have a fantastic job. I'm good at it, I love the people I work with, I have amazing freedom, wonderful benefits, and worst of all, I'm very highly paid.

Don't get me wrong. I like making a good living. I have no desire whatsoever to eat ramen noodles and borrow rent money from my parents. My family enjoys my cushy living even more than I do.

But alas, I'm at a cross-roads. Pace of Advancement is an important concept in Corporate America, and if I'm going to stay on pace I need to advance, one way or another, in the next year. This means a lot of decision-making and hard work and maneuvering and blah blah blah. Sigh. My heart just isn't in it any more. If I'm going to work hard, I want to be doing something I'm passionate about. That would be writing.

If I didn't have a family and a mortgage and two school tuitions to pay, it would be relatively easy to set aside extra money for a while and buy myself a year or two worth of ramen noodles, hole-in-the-wall rent and free time. Hell, I could move back in with my parents. But that just isn't going to happen. I have to multi-task: take care of my family, write, and keep my job.

About that last one... you know my name isn't really Kate. I would simply prefer it if my employer didn't decide to do me a favor and push me out of the nest, so to speak. At least not without a gigantic severance package. Of course anonymity is a disadvantage if I'm going to build a platform, but more on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment