Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is it Just Me?

So, I told you a while back that I got myself a new desk.  One I'm not sharing with anyone.  One that's always ready for me and whatever I want to do.  I'm pleased to report I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

However, it has not made me thinner, taller, more beautiful, or a best-selling author.  Clearly, I didn't spend enough money on it.

But I digress.  The great thing about my desk is that it is in the corner, facing the room.  As a matter of fact, this is a requirement for me.  I cannot work at a desk facing a wall.  I have never been able to sit with my back to a door either.  I never once did homework at the desk in my bedroom growing up, and although I didn't realize it at the time, it's because that desk was always in the only place it would fit: against the wall opposite the door.

I could go on and on about atavistic/paranoid psychologies involved here, but let's just take them as self-evident.  I simply want to know: anybody else?

3 comments:

  1. I can function with my back to a door, or fracing a wall, if I have to, but I'm much more comfortable seeing into some open space and not having the entrance behind me.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to face a window so I can look out. I don't care that that puts my back to the door, I need to see daylight.

    Oh, and well done on making the forties club in the Clarity of Night contest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John - It wouldn't surprise me if that were true of most people.

    fairyhedgehog - Thanks for the congrats. I do enjoy sitting next to a window overlooking my garden when I work at home On the other hand, I usually only write at night.

    ReplyDelete