I have a confession to make. I've been largely avoiding my novel since I finished the first draft two months ago. I've been hiding from one particular monster of a writing challenge. I call this monster Rubik.
It's like this. In the first draft, I managed to introduce a beautifully complex problem. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to satisfactorily solve the problem I invented.
Novels are like Rubik's Cubes. You don't get points for mixing up the colors.
The ending I did write is utterly lame and tantamount to peeling the colored stickers off and trying to restick them on the right sides. It won't fool anyone, and it has to be scrapped.
So this is my goal for February: Find a good solution to the problem, or revise the problem into one I can solve.