Friday, September 11, 2009

Eve Tasting the Apple

I've been spending time this week reading a lot of blogs and such from the publishing industry. The more I learn the more it fascinates me. However, there are a few things I sort of wish I hadn't read.

Case in point: Pimp My Novel, which helpfully talks about what's selling and what isn't.

This is extremely dangerous information for an aspiring novelist. One the one hand, it is probably useless. How things are selling now obviously does not predict sales trends and market saturation at some murky future moment when one's own book is ready. At the same time, it's almost impossible to ignore. You say hard science fiction has been on the decline for fifty years now? I guess I won't waste my time.

Well, it’s too late now. I’ve tasted the fruit and there’s no going back. Besides, it's yummy.  I guess remaining true to one’s self will just be a little harder now.

No comments:

Post a Comment